Our Sustainability Mission
- To lead the graphic arts industry in developing and maintaining "Sustainability Standards" that protect the Earth's natural resources.
- To document and monitor our environmental footprint through a matrix of data tracking energy usage along with airborne emissions, solid waste production, and recycled product usage.
100% Use of Renewable Energy Sources
- Purchase of Renewable Energy: Wind/Water/Bio-Mass purchased 25,002,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of clean, renewable energy each year from wind farms across the nation.
- The estimated environmental benefit of this purchase is equivalent to planting over 2.2 million trees or not driving over 29 million miles every year.
Reduction of Material Consumption: Paper/Plates/Proofs
- Lean Sigma techniques
- Plate-making and paper spoilage
Leed EB Building Enhancements
- Advanced lighting systems use motion detectors to minimize electricity consumption.
Waste Management Processes
- Waste Management processes 99% of all waste generated - both solid and liquid.
- Reduction of VOC emissions, including use of custom inks and coatings.
- Latest sheetfed presses deliver significantly faster press make-readies and improved run consistency, reducing paper use in make-ready by 50% and reducing energy consumption by 30%.
- Color management/GRACoL expertise assure quick proof-to-press performance to reduce material usage.
- Closed-loop color systems on our presses assure consistency across the run and reduce use of paper and inks.
- Virtual proofing solutions that replace hardcopy proofs reduce material usage by 80%.
Certifications & Partnerships
Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®)
FSC® sets global standards for responsible forest management in bio-geographic regions throughout the world. Its principles and criteria span economic, social and environmental concerns implemented through a variety of certifications. Nicholas Earth Printing is FSC certified by the Rainforest Alliance.
The Rainforest Alliance works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods in more than 60 countries. They employ socially and environmentally responsible standards that are economically viable. The “Rainforest Alliance Certified™” seal of approval assures consumers that they are buying a sustainable product.
Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®)
SFI® promotes responsible forest management, as well as sustainable environmental, social, and economic interests. Its certification program supports forest conservation and protects water quality, biodiversity, and wildlife habitats.
Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification™ (PEFC™)
The PEFC Council is a global non-profit organization that promotes sustainably managed forests through independent third-party certification. The PEFC™ assures purchasers of wood and paper products they are promoting the sustainable management of forests.
Environmental Protection Agency Green Power Partner
The EPA Green Power Partnership is a voluntary program that supports the organizational procurement of renewable energy. Buying green power is one of the easiest and most effective ways to improve environmental performance. This program offers the tools and resources to help you achieve those goals.
3Degrees, our renewable energy partner, is a certified B Corp built upon the idea that businesses need to consider the impact of their products and services on their employees, the community and the environment. The goal is not just to be the best in the world, but to be the best for the world. Nicholas Earth Printing has purchased Green-e® Energy Certified wind-generated Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) since 2007.
Environmental leadership through a significant purchase of certified renewable energy.